Replace battery in suspend

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Sat May 9 16:25:08 CEST 2009

Am Sa  9. Mai 2009 schrieb Christian Rüb:
> Hi,
>
> is it possible to do the following:
>  * power off GSM
>  * suspend
>  * plug external USB power supply (can do 100,500 and 1000mA)
>  * open device and exchange battery
>  * resume again
>  * power on GSM
>  * (optional) unplug USB power supply
>
> I do not have a second battery (yet) but this scenario might occur while GPS
> tracking and not having the possibility to charge. I already have this
> external USB battery but it will not be enough to cover all the time I need
> my Frerunner running.
>
> I read somewhere that the GSM alway gets its power directly from the
> battery, thus my interest in turning it off before suspending. Can this work
> or might this even break anything?

It's perfectly safe to swap battery while hooked to >= 500mA USB-power (GTA02
only! Never do this on GTA01 unless you know exactly what you're doing).
Your considerations regarding GSM are correct, it needs a re-init after new
bat inserted. Alas this seems to be a broken function in SHR atm.

cheers
jOERG