[Om2009] testing Release 3

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Mon May 11 22:22:17 CEST 2009

- SMS: When viewing a message, one doesn't see the name of the sender
but the phone number (also when the number is saved in the phone
memory)
- MISC: when not in fullscreen mode (=illume enabled), one can't see
the used profile in the home view

¤ SIM: An option to save messages/numbers to SIM would be awesome when
testing stuff.. I keep losing SMS:s I've received. But it's the life
of a beta tester, I guess :)
¤ SMS: Writing an SMS that's longer than one line makes the first line
disappear from the screen when one writes the second line. Unnecessary
and annoying.
¤ SMS: When viewing a message, one can click on the sender number and
type a new number. Is this to forward the message? I take it's not
possible yet to edit a received message before forwarding?
¤ SMS: There's no character count in SMS view

¤ PROFILES: having the 'silent' profile on I received a SMS and got
audible alert. Shouldn't happen, I guess. When I have 'silent' profile
selected, going to settings -> phone shows me 'default' profile
selected. see http://scap.linuxtogo.org/files/0089ddba2f209e1bf6b8bc0f3c2279f2.png

After the screenshot I changed the profile from the setting menu
(default -> silent) and this is the log for that:

2009-05-11 23:03:27,789 Launcher INFO     profile display changed to silent
2009-05-11 23:03:27,999 Launcher INFO     profile display changed to silent
2009-05-11 23:03:28,109 Launcher INFO     current: default new: silent
2009-05-11 23:03:36,426 settings-service INFO     current index: 0
2009-05-11 23:03:36,435 settings-service INFO     new value: silent
2009-05-11 23:03:37,114 Launcher INFO     profile display changed to silent
2009-05-11 23:03:37,339 Launcher INFO     profile display changed to silent
2009-05-11 23:03:37,445 gui      DEBUG    list sorting
2009-05-11 23:03:39,039 gui      INFO     renewing callbacks
2009-05-11 23:03:39,049 settings-service INFO     profile set to silent

ie. the profile item doesn't seem to follow the AUX changer but it
works the vice versa.

Some more comments inline below:

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Mirko Lindner <mirko at openmoko.com> wrote:
>> - If one by accidentally presses 'Enter in the PIN input view, it just
>> accepts it and doesn't ask for PIN again.
>
> It does not return if you enter a wrong PIN?

No, I don't think it does. I now disabled PIN and restarted and I get
no PIN question.. (or did I.. I don't think I did..). So now the menu
says 'PIN on' but it doesn't ask for the PIN when starting.

On a start or two later it asks for the pin. I presses 'Enter' and got
the message 'can't init service GSM:
org.freesmartphone.GSM.Network.Unauthoriz(and then it run out of the
screen..) and OK button.After this I also got the messages from GPRS
and TopBar, Audio, SIM & SMS failing (because GPRS & GSM are down)

logs here: http://pastebin.com/m37d37110

but anyway, it didn't ask again for the PIN after pressing 'enter'.
So I'd suggest checking for empty PIN when pressing Enter and if
that's the case, just ask it again (or at least suppress the ~7 error
messages?)

>>- wlan scan doesn't have a progress bar telling it's actually doing
>> something
>
> I am bound to what connman provides me. I don't get any progress sadly.
> Should Paroli block any action until it found a network (which can be bad in
> case there is none)? Or should it block until the scan is done (I believe
> there is a signal from connman when it "completed" a scan)?

Hmm.. Maybe a text 'scanning' until connman sends the 'completed' -signal?

>> - There's nothing (no text/button) telling one should click in the
>> black area to get to phonebook to select recipient in 'msgs' -> '+' or
>> 'Tele'
>
> Should it get a grey fill when no number is entered? Or an icon?

Something is needed. I'm not an GUI expert.. Could your UI designed
had a look at this?

>> ¤ How to connect to a hidden WLAN network? How about encryptions?
>
> WPA,WEP and WPA2 should be handled correctly. This should also cover 90% of
> all cases. I would love to have a more complete interface for wifi, but am
> afraid I won't have the time. If there is anyone who wants to adopt the
> whole wifi settings part (is only one py file) let me know and I'll get
> him/her git access along with all the help I can provide.

Right, it's cool if all visible networks are handled correctly.
Support for hidden is extra but not the first priority..

>> ¤ Is there a way to enable illume from command line?
>
> Angus answered that I believe, but why not use the setting in Display - >
> profile in paroli settings?

I'm working on a script (Kustomizer for OM2009) to be able to set up
FR as a complete package, not only simple Paroli-phone. See
http://etherpad.com/zt3x1x7ERX

>> ¤ With hundreds of phone numbers it'd be great to be able to type at
>> least the first letter, or two-three to be able to find the
>
> Agreed search function would be nice...no sure how to implement that.

A button with text 'search' that would launch the keyboard and typing
would straight jump to name in the list that has matching first X
letters or so..

>> ¤ I got many 'can't init topbar/wlan/...' -messages telling that
>> something failed (only on the first start)
>
> Some services are only usable after the second boot. Rule of thumb, always
> boot Om2009 twice after flashing ;)

Right, seems to be working now after reflashing. No messages this time :)

>> ¤ At some stage my FR just decided not to resume any more
>
>> ¤ After the 10min call the UI died, I wasn't able to press any
>> buttons, nothing happened. Then after waiting some minutes it started
>> running again. Still the top left shows '100' instead of default or
>> silent..
>
> Got logs for that one?

No, logs not available, I'll see if I can get some if this happens later again..