Battery only charger

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Tue May 12 11:37:57 CEST 2009

Christian Rüb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone know a good charger for the battery only?
>
> The wiki page about the battery [1] tells that you cannot charge the Freerunner battery in a Nokia phone or with original Nokia chargers.
> Does anyone know a working charger and a source where to get it (preferably in Germany).
>
> Has anyone tried the Nokia DT-14 [2] in any combination with or without success?

Well, it is a lithium battery. Charging it wrong is bad, as lithium can
explode and burn.

But I have the impression that just about any charger made for lithium
batteries of similiar capacity should work safely. A normal lithium
charger should monitor the voltage and stop when the battery gets full.
A charger made for much bigger batteries could charge too fast and be
dangerous.

You have to figure out the battery terminals, but that should be
possible as FR schematics is available. There is a ground terminal, a
terminal that the phone draws power from, and a third terminal that is
used for charging.

Make sure any charger you try to use is made for charging batteries
only. Many phone chargers are cheap devices made for connecting to a
phone, and the phone's electronics will limit charging for you. such a
charger can not be used for a battery without a phone.

If you can get your hands on one of those freerunners with a broken
display, then that can be used as a "charger" too.

Helge Hafting