Ain't it funny..

David Garabana Barro david at garabana.com
Tue May 12 12:42:51 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 08:01:47 roguemoko at roguewrt.org wrote:
> On 8/05/2009 6:58 PM, David Garabana Barro wrote:
> > Some time ago, I have recommended several friends*NOT*  to buy a
> > Freerunner, because software was not ready. It was a great toy for me,
> > but my friends would get desperated. I think it's being open minded (and
> > being a good friend;)
> >
> > If someone feels raped, he can press charges to OM. But complaining on a
> > community mailing list won't solve his problems. Don't you think?
>
> Way to chime in at the tail end. It's obvious with Dale's recent emails
> that he's frustrated that nobody was listening or taking him seriously.
>
> I witnessed his contributions and willingness to provide feedback, where
> he was met with semantics and useless responses that then pushed him to
> publicise his opinion and his situation. All still very obvious if you
> have paid any attention.
>
> You're love for your device and your 'opinion' in no way solves the
> problem that he had no outlet for recouping on a falsely advertised
> device. Our laws entitle us to have our money refunded in such a
> situation but this does not transcend international borders.
>
> I'd like to know where it is exactly you'd voice your dissent in such a
> situation. I'm sure Dale can present you with an audit trail of emails,
> trac tickets and the like, long before any of this actually started
> publicly.
>
> To top it off, I reckon Dale would have assimilated (now that's a nasty
> word over here) had Lorn admitted to the failings of QTE and been
> willing to agree that people have differing opinions on the software's
> 'usefulness', none of this would have ever happened.
>
> The one thing that should never occurred, and I imagine there are a few
> people that agree here, is that the FR should never have been advertised
> as a phone. Potential to become a phone maybe. This marketing oversight
> would have saved a lot of trouble and time.

You're right in all you're saying, and specially in that the FR should never
been advertised as a phone.
I was only trying to mean that I didn't see that advertisement, and I knew it
was not ready. Long before Neo was released, I was following mailing lists
and wiki, and it was clear software was in a very early stage. Not more not
less.

If I answered this thread was because I didn't like to hear this sentence:
" I have been defrauded of $400. And so have you. The only difference is that
I'm not willing to sit around pretending that being raped is all fun and
games."

I don't feel defrauded, and I don't pretend is funny being raped.
And at this moment, *at least for me*, Neo already works like a phone, and I
suppose updating GSM firmware to moko11, and disabling calypso deep_sleep,
should make it work as a phone for everyone.

> I say oversight because the people who are supporting openmoko really
> don't care whether it's a phone out of the box or not.

You're right on this one too. I bought it knowing it was not still an usabe
phone, and I didn't care about it
.