[Om2009] testing Release 3

Angus Ainslie nytowl at openmoko.org
Wed May 13 17:16:21 CEST 2009

Hi Max

Thanks Risto for answering some of these.

On May 13, 2009 04:18:47 am Max wrote:
> First of all thank you for hard work Angus.

Hey I just put the lego together you should be thanking Mirko, and the FSO
team.

> The very essential things I expect from om-whatever are:
> - send and receive calls to\from phones in international format e. g.
> starting with + like +790934534...
> - read and create contacts both in English and Russian from both sim
> card and internal db
> - send and receive sms both in English and Russian

This should be fixed in the unstable feed. To get it you will need to install
Om2009 and the bring that package in from unstable or wait for TR4

> - lock and unlock screen by pressing aux button

AUX button has other uses

> I guess it's pretty common expectations and it sometimes work somehow
> with om2008.12
>
> So my question is - are above mentioned features available on om2009 TR3
> out-of-the-box?

Not yet

> Is there are some packages I need to install to achieve it or some
> configuration tweaks needed?
>
> If so - how to migrate contacts db and sms message archive from
> om2008.12 to om2009?
>
> As far as I understood it's recommended to flash om2009.
> Is it possible to use sd instead? If so - where can I find instructions
> on how to do it with om2009 TR3?

Yes running on an SD card is no problem, and is the method I would recommend
if you just want to test it,  and is the same as any other distro in that
regard. The instructions vary depend on what bootloader so check the wiki.

> Going a bit further, is there plan to start supporting normal upgrade
> via something like opkg upgrade since om2009 TR x?

Upgrades should start working before we get to release but there are a couple
of minor bugs that need working out first. If those aren't resloved before
release I will try to provide an upgrade script that will do the right thing
were opkg can't

> There are also certain features lacking in om2008.12 which I'm really
> looking forward to see in om2009 in addition to basics mentioned above:
> - correctly receive call\sms in suspend mode e. g. wake up and work

Part of that with any distro is to make sure you have the modem flashed to
moko11

> - alarm clock working in suspend mode
> - wi-fi with wpa2 working out-of-the-box
> - some media player supporting ogg and mp3

It is unlikely that mp3 will ever be supported out of the box. What I'm
looking at right now is to ship an mplayer or gstreamer frontend and you will
need to install the mp3 functionality from a different distro.

> It's not clear (maybe I miss something - feel free to point me to
> appropriate info) if it is in om2009 TR 3.

Om2009 is pretty fluid right now but I'm trying to keep it's page uptodate

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om2009

Angus