[neovento] nand space workaround?

clare johnstone claregj at gmail.com
Thu May 14 16:07:06 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Staley, Daniel L <dlstal2 at uky.edu> wrote:
> I recently installed neovento, and I like what has been done!
>
> However, because I flashed the neovento image to the nand, I am running pretty low on space for installing new packages (And with the debian repos open to me...it is surely quick to fill!)
> My initial idea was to copy my /usr to the uSD card and then just mount it on boot.  I also looked at the mhddfs package (seems pretty neat....not sure if it would work well here or not)
>
> But then i wondered if there was an easier way....surely someone has run into this already?  What other ways have people got around the internal nand size limitation?
> (Besides just installing the whole thing on the uSD card)

Hi Daniel,
What I did was make a directory on /mnt/sdcard which neovento has
already mounted it is the first partition on the card, named it cache
and then set up directories under it to match those in /var/cache
then change /var/cache to /var/was-cache   (a habit I keep originals)
then sit in /var and
ln -s /mnt/sdcard/cache

I had actually done it before and had a good collection of debs
downloaded earlier, and after setting it up like that again i did an
apt-get update and then installed a couple of things especially less
and apt-utils and man-db, it got the debs out of the cache - very
satisfactory.

cheers,
clare