New Life in Openmoko Phones

Dave Ball openmoko at underhand.org
Mon May 18 23:38:36 CEST 2009

David Reyes Samblas Martinez wrote:

>>> sounds interesting.
>>> could someone add background information why parts change?
>>> removing the glamo seems pretty plausible, but why removing one of the
>>> accelerometers? audio amp? nor? ...
>>>
>> I don't see why to remove one of the accelerometers and have added so to
>> the "Discussion" tab.
>>
> For this you have the actual GTA02,
> I'm not an expert at all, but keep things simply is always a good Idea
> , and as they sayd is not pretended to have a production ready phone,
> but all the learning done in the way of do this "simply" phone can
> help to start a more complicated design, even with gyroscopes,
> compass, a full kitchen and swimming pool if it fit the case, but now
> I agree in do this a simple but powerful as they can,  and even if
> they finish with something looks like this[1]   but with functional
> GPS/WIFI/BT/GPRS/CIR/SIR/USB will worth the effort

For me, I think you've hit the nail on the head.  We're trying something
new with gta02-core, and by working on the small changes we've proposed
we can focus on the tools that we use, the organisation of individual
contributors and the stages we need to go through to get functional
hardware.  Doing gta02-core means that we should be able to move forward
fairly rapidly and shake out any problems as we go.  For that aim, the
specific changes we make are almost arbitrary - and as stated on the
wiki we don't expect this to turn into production hardware.

My hope is certainly that we'll be in a position to design a more
interesting device once we've finished with gta02-core, having
established a hardware community and process for making those design
decisions.  We'll also be in a better position to discuss part
availability with suppliers (or project sponsors), if we've demonstrated
our ability to 'create' as a community.

There's definitely plenty to do, so it would be great to see anyone
interested in helping with hardware construction or review on the gta03
list.

Dave