root almighty

Warren Baird wjbaird at
Tue May 19 23:43:11 CEST 2009

Can you point out exactly which criticism of Android on the wikipedia page
you think makes Android not a 'free' option on the OM, and what part of the
ars technica article you are talking about?   I've read through both and it
isn't obvious to me.

I certainly agree that Android running on a locked phone with all the
restrictions associated with it is not 'free'.

But I must say that I don't see why the Koolu implementation of Android
running on the FR wouldn't qualify as free.   You've got the source under an
open source license, you can run what ever free software you like on it.
That smells like 'free' to me.

I don't see how the fact that people can create 'non-free' android distros
on other phones impacts whether the verson on the FR is free...