[Om2009] testing Release 3: first impressions

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Wed May 20 11:26:46 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Toni Mueller <support at oeko.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I thought I'd just throw my 0.02 cents into the arena. ;}

Great :)

> 1. Once in the dialer, I couldn't exit. In the wiki it says: Go to the
> main screen of Paroli, then press the AUX button for two seconds. But I
> didn't manage getting back to the main screen, and within the dialer,
> the AUX button didn't work.

I agree, it's a bit difficult sometimes having the 'back' button
there, sometimes having to press the top bar to exit..

> 2. Instead of shutting down, pressing and holding the power button for
> an extended period simply powered off the device. I think this is
> already known and being worked on, but thought I'd mention it for
> "completeness".

Visual feedback will be added at some stage.. I hope..

> 4. Booting is so awfully slow that I initially thought that the device
> had crashed.

I've been told that you can install the package udev-static-devices to
reduce the boot time by ~30s (but if you have your home on
/media/disk/bind-home, it'll not work, see
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Om2009#Installing ) - stuff still under
development.

> On the plus side, typing about anything is now MUCH, MUCH faster than
> with Om2008.12 which I had before.

What kind of keyboard would you like to have there? I installed qwo
(http://www.opkg.org/package_84.html) just to try it out - not bad :)
Should try the transparent version:
http://kedrigern.dcs.fmph.uniba.sk/~riso/Openmoko/qwo/