LCD Displays?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Thu May 21 12:37:35 CEST 2009

On Thursday 21 May 2009, zogg wrote:
> Thats intresting. What could have stopped them from making it
> non-monochrome in daylight?

Probably cost and efficiency as these were major factors in OLPC. If PixelQi
don't start producing screens that are colour in daylight then I guess there's
a technical reason as well. Based on the explanation below I would have
thought adding the coloured filters between the LCD and the reflective layer
would drop backlight efficiency only a little since the prism has already
split the light, but I'm no expert. The extra component requiring precision
placement would add cost though.