[Om2009] testing Release 3: first impressions

Angus Ainslie nytowl at openmoko.org
Thu May 21 18:03:50 CEST 2009

On May 21, 2009 09:21:07 am Toni Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 20.05.2009 at 04:24:33 -0400, Mirko Lindner <mirko at openmoko.com>
wrote:
> > Toni Mueller wrote:
> >> I thought I'd just throw my 0.02 cents into the arena. ;}
> >
> > Yeah, we want it all :)
>
> while flashing moko11 I've just discovered that Paroli doesn't let me
> set the date, but only the time. For some obscure reason, after a
> reboot (all w/o a GSM SIM card), the date was magically adjusted from
> May 9th to today.

The time gets updated from the network

> Other things that I'd change if I were able to, off the top of my head:
>

> * I still happen to not understand Paroli's UI. The battery looks like
>   being empty in Paroli, but full in Illume.

Thats paroli talking to the frame work before the framework is ready to
respond.

> * There's a strange icon to the left of the battery that doesn't say
>   what it is, nor what it wants to "tell me".

GSM signal level

> * The minuscule analog clock doesn't really serve a purpose, imho. It'd
>   be better to either (configurably) replace it by a digital clock,
>   and/or maximize it when activated, like any other application, too.

I'd prefer digital too and maybe even white on black to match the rest of
paroli. Send a patch for the paroli-illume profile and I'll integrate it.

> * I have yet to find out how to rotate the screen on demand.

xrandr

> * Suspend should be configurable to not being activated while on USB
>   power. It's annoying to me that the device always goes to sleep,
>   and consequently, my SSH connection goes down, while I'm looking
>   something up in the wiki or elsewhere.

It should not suspend while plugged in. But there is a race condition in
framework that those rules don't get properly applied sometimes. What
sometimes works is to unplug the usb cable until the LED goes out and then
plug it back in. I should not suspend after that point

> * After several reboots, the time has now been turned backwards for
>   well over an hour. The difference is small enough to suggest to me
>   that maybe the device displays what it thinks is UTC instead of local
>   time (which I configured).

Instead of configuring it for locatime you should set the correct localtime file
and set ZONESOURCES=NONE in /etc/frameworkd.conf

Angus