Launcher/Home Page (Proof of concept) Working Release

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon May 25 17:51:48 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 07:39:38AM -0700, c_c wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> >
> >>Shouldn't repeat functionality from Paroli (even if it's currently
> lacking)
> >>like the missed calls, and separation by f.d.o categories are way more
> needed
> >>before I'll give it a try!
> >
>  Well, I've been waiting for a decent launcher for some time and paroli is
> **much** more than a launcher. But the launcher part is a little behind. So
> - this is what I came up with.
>   Can you clarify what you meant with f.d.o categories?

I don't think Paroli should have a launcher, but that's just me :) I'd rather
Paroli focused on becoming a good conectivity/telephony/pim application.

But the current launcher only shows .desktop files in /usr/share/applications/
and doesn't pay attention to the Category information.

That Category field is (I think) specified in
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

So the desktop launcher should:
 1 create "tabs" (or something else) per category
   (because you just need it to separate and spare screen real estate)

 2 be able to show only selected categories from the list of defined categories
   (because the number can quickly grow too large for the screen)

Rui