Launcher/Home Page (Proof of concept) Working Release

c_c cchandel at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 05:57:43 CEST 2009

Hi,

jahckal wrote:

>>When i try to choose Set Application, i see Application as a title of
>>the screen and line with sth like "@hh@@@@" etc. and it closes with
>>Segmentation fault.

  Well, it seems like there is a problem with the parsing of the files in
/usr/share/applications.
Can you post your ~/.launcher/launcher.db ?

jahckal wrote:

> I would prefer list of categories not to be centered on the screen. I
> think left allign (but in the center, not left edge of the screen) would
> be better.

  Elementary doesn't have any spacer concept (like GTK) yet. Hence the
flexible layout. Maybe I'll try the layout widget and see how that works
out. I was actually thinking of keeping the information icons (there's one
for notifications too) on the top line on the left - with the category
selector on the top line right.

jahckal wrote:

> Or maybe the same size of buttons for any category? So big to
> let you have your edited categories fully seen. Maybe 10 or even more
> signs. Rest cut with "."

Well, a combolist would suit this best. But since there isn't any, I'm using
a hover (I find that hoversel's are v slow). Each button is actually a
button and buttons fit text. So - the only way I know to get the sizes right
is to pad the names with spaces. That isn't such a nice way though - so I
looking for a safer solution.

  Anyone - any ideas?