Tangogps or navit with prepackaged Europe map

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Thu May 28 13:27:04 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Joseph Reeves <iknowjoseph at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's made me think - we (as in the community) could provide packages
> via opkg.org that provided regular updates for various countries /
> regions / zoom levels. Would be very easy to do, just make sure that
> someone has up to date tiles (OSMupdater, for example) and package
> them up to be extracted to /media/card/maps

Thank you guys for the many answers!

I have read on the list that navit requires many tweaks to run with an
acceptable speed
on the freerunner. So what is the best way to install it? On debian?
On shr? On om2009?

I think this gps navigation is so complex, that usually people buys a
dedicated device
for it. I think it would be appropriate to build some hand-tuned,
tweaked images
for Freerunner. Maybe there is already available uSD image....

The wiki is a bit too neutral about it. Would be nice to see the best
(speed-wise) option is,
and no need to try everything out and spend weeks on tweaking.

Laszlo