Help with gstreamer for python needed

Ben Wong lists.openmoko.org at wongs.net
Sat May 30 06:12:07 CEST 2009

Does gstreamer lock up when you use it from the command line?

Here's a little shell script that will call gstreamer to play any
media file.  (This probably needn't to be said for something so
trivial, but this code has no copyright).  You can use it like so:

  playbin  foo.ogg  barf.mp3  /usr/local/share/music/Artists/Freezepop/*

--Ben

#!/bin/sh

# Simplistic gstreamer front-end.
# Ben Wong,  May 2009
# Public Domain

# Usage:  playbin [ file ... ]
#
# E.g.,  cd /usr/share/sounds; playbin *

# When the user hits ^C, wait a bit and then continue to next song.
inthandler () {
  trap reallyexit INT
  echo "Skipping song. Hit ^C twice to quit."
  sleep 1 || reallyexit       # GNU sleep fails on SIGINT
  trap inthandler INT
}

# If the user hits ^C while we're already in the INT handler, quit.
reallyexit () {
  echo
  exit 1
}

#### Main routine

trap inthandler INT

for f; do

  case "$f" in
    /*) # do nothing
        ;;
    *) f="`pwd`/$f"
	;;
  esac

  echo gst-launch playbin '"'uri=file://$f'"' >&2
  gst-launch playbin "uri=file://$f"

done

# End of script