Om2009 testing release 4

Ben Wong lists.openmoko.org at wongs.net
Sat May 30 07:10:33 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 3:25 AM, Mirko Lindner <mirko at openmoko.com> wrote:

> Ben Wong wrote:
>>
>> 2d) There is too much latency between pressing the AUX button during a
>> call and any indication that the system is working on changing the
>> volume.  Ideally, what I'd like the GUI to show me is not what the
>> current volume is, but what it will be once it has finished processing
>> all the button presses.
>
> This is an issue happening in several places in paroli. The interface is
> very honest in the sense that it only shows what actually happened. Of
> course this means that changes are visible a bit later than in other
> interfaces. Should this paradigm be changed?

Yes, I believe so.  As others have said, "honesty" includes not only
the past but what is planned for the future.  I think changing the
gauge immediately (40%, 60%, 80%) but having it be grayed-out would be
a good way to represent that the volume change is queued up for later
action.

>> 2e) When ending a call, pressing END CALL does light up the button,
>> but then it unlights before the call is actually ended making one
>> think it needs to be pressed again.  I suggest changing the text to
>> "ENDING" after the button has been pressed.
>
> The relates to the last point. Paroli could remove the call window as soon
> as the user ends the call and it could also stop all sounds and just don't
> worry whether or not the call is actually ended.
>
> I agree sth has to change here, which way is better
>
> a) showing that the call is ending and keeping the call window until the
> call is actually ended
>
> or
>
> b) closing the window right away and letting the user move on before the
> call is actually finished

Plan A would be acceptable, but B would be better.  The user interface
should waste as little of the user's time as possible.  However, plan
B also sounds like it'd be tricky to do correctly.  What happens if
the user immediately tries to make another call (or use GPRS or SMS)
and the previous call hasn't yet finished?

Thanks for your detailed response, Mirko.  I look forward to testing
your next release.

--Ben