[Om2009] a community effort

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun May 31 09:47:04 CEST 2009

Not sure - raised it with Andy directly when he asked for comments - but
it was not going to be fixed as it was "works for me" (booting failures)
- this being him.  And, as you know he was very against Qi printing
anything informative to the user as it would take time and Qi was about
speed, not "correctness" - my impression based on Andy's comments.

As far as I am aware its not maintained, though Andy did say he hoped he
would be able to do so - I just checked the OM wiki page for it and see
that there is a new download directory, but no information about
progress other than "approaching release".  I am still wary of wasting
time trying it because the wiki still says "A short press on the power
button is enough to make Qi start booting. In a few seconds the
backlight will be lit, but the kernel will not spew any console messages
unless something is wrong. It may take up to 2 minutes (depends on
distribution) until X is started during which there will be no visual
feedback. Please be patient." - that is just plain broken from a user
perspective and in my case, wasted time as it didnt always reliably
start when pressing the powerbutton.

Why am I so negative - lost an important call when the FR didnt boot
when it should have - due to Qi. I am just not prepared to stare at the
FR for in excess of 2 minutes to see if it boots before getting on with
life.  The wiki suggests looking for the backlight ... what a joke, ever
tried doing that in daylight/real life?

BillK

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 10:32 +0400, Paul Fertser wrote:
> William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> writes:
> >>
> >> Yes
> >>

> > no, fails to boot occasionally, and because it doesnt print anything to
> > screen you dont know until much later ...
>
> Occasionally? Ticket #?
>
> > so not unless things have changed and it seems currently
> > unmaintained.
>
> It is maintained. And it "just works". I'm sad to see you saying
> things like that.

Home in Perth!