[WikiReader] Hardware

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Mon Nov 2 18:56:30 CET 2009

Thomas HOCEDEZ wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I opened my WR this weekend and I took some pictures for those who wants :
> http://freerunner.daily.free.fr
> I was really surprised to see a little connector (not soldered) which is
> exactly a mini USB !
> I soldered it, plugged it on my desktop and ... TADA !! ..nothing, nada,
> keutch, queudalle .... "lsusb" is totally quiet ...
> If someone have informations about this plug,  and the other "jtag" plug
> (on more than the one present near batteries).
> I think there will be rough hacking those future nights.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

The software is free. http://github.com/wikireader (Can't see any caviats
if there are any)
If you look at it you will notice that is not running a OS in the regular
sense. Especially not a full blown OS with a USB stack like Linux.
The software is fully loaded from SD card. As far as I understand you can
compile anything you like and get it booted from SD.

I suppose you can create a usb stack. And I think a usb-storage mode would
be fantastic to update the SD contents.
If you find out if it has a battery charger you could maybe even charge
the device via usb...

The gist. Wikireader is not anything like the Neo. It's very minimalistic.