[wikireader] Images on the WR not so imposible :P [was [wikireader]Error on parsing the spanish wikipedia]

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Tue Nov 3 14:29:41 CET 2009

> I'm not sure if this is a desired workflow. But I don't think whis will be
> a problem if everybody builds his own wikireder offline database.
>
> Meaning, Wikireader ships and maintains a database with all safe content.
> And if you like more you do it yourself.
If the viewer is already implemented
you parse/render the whole Wikipedia to include the images links
already rip off in the "official" version with a "--include-non-free"
option  in make or a unnoficial patch to avoid this filtering..., It
seems a great idea to me. then is up the (advanced)user to include
this image or not and he is not taking any more profit than enjoying
the images . I think is a good aproach for the licencing issue.

> PS: I think it would be a good idea to only use pics with low dnamic in
> the first place. There is no use to have a van Gough on a 1bit low res
> screen.
I not agree with this, is clear than you cannot appreciate the subtle
mastering of colors or the smart use of lights in a 1 bit color depth
240px width image :P but you can see How it looks like and in WR for
me is far from enough,
> But having maps, flags, schematics and other low dynamic stuff makes total
> sense.
I see the flags more problematic than van Gough ... a lot of them
relies on colors to diferentiate each other so italian,french,irish,
and all the miriad trhee vertical colors flags will be very hard
differentiable
> I especially think about the huge amount of svg content.
> I imagine, that this can be fairly easily detected. (Maybe just simply by
> compression factor)
or by his extension :P

> PPS: Apropos SVG. I guess we can keep them as some kind of vector format
> to save space.
With the sizes we are talking abuout (3-4Kb once compressed), rarely a
svg will be smaller than this, and I think reder a vector image is
more resouce hungry than just a plain bitmap, but if the device can
hold it it can be awesome as map viewer :)

> PPPS: We need a mailinglist
Meanwhile people tag the topic I feel confortable in the OM list for a OM device