[WikiReader] Hardware

Thomas HOCEDEZ thomas.hocedez at free.fr
Wed Nov 4 17:09:49 CET 2009

Tilman Baumann a écrit :
> Thomas HOCEDEZ wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I opened my WR this weekend and I took some pictures for those who wants :
>> http://freerunner.daily.free.fr
>>
>> I was really surprised to see a little connector (not soldered) which is
>> exactly a mini USB !
>> I soldered it, plugged it on my desktop and ... TADA !! ..nothing, nada,
>> keutch, queudalle .... "lsusb" is totally quiet ...
>> If someone have informations about this plug,  and the other "jtag" plug
>> (on more than the one present near batteries).
>> I think there will be rough hacking those future nights.
>>

> I'm not sure what you are talking about.
>
> The software is free. http://github.com/wikireader (Can't see any caviats
> if there are any)
> If you look at it you will notice that is not running a OS in the regular
> sense. Especially not a full blown OS with a USB stack like Linux.
> The software is fully loaded from SD card. As far as I understand you can
> compile anything you like and get it booted from SD.
>
> http://github.com/wikireader/wikireader/blob/master/samo-lib/00ReadMe.text
>
> I suppose you can create a usb stack. And I think a usb-storage mode would
> be fantastic to update the SD contents.
> If you find out if it has a battery charger you could maybe even charge
> the device via usb...
>
> The gist. Wikireader is not anything like the Neo. It's very minimalistic.
>
> Regards
>  Tilman

On  my blog (http://freerunner.daily.free.fr), sucotronic explain that
there is USB capabilities on the Epson chip, I'll have to follow the
lines to check what it is connected to. Then I'll try to work on the
software stack, but more experienced developpers will be faster than me.

Keep in touch

AstHrO.