Ideal screen rotation

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sun Nov 8 02:01:58 CET 2009

On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 19:57:25 +0000 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org> said:

> On Sat, Nov 07, 2009 at 02:23:01PM +0000, Neil Jerram wrote:
> > 2009/11/7 Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms at 1407.org>:
> > >
> > > I'm definitely not following you... I envision the following scenario
> > > according to what you say, could you please elaborate on why it wouldn't
> > > happen this way?
> >
> > My thinking is evolving with this discussion, but my current idea of
> > the solution is that the WM controls whether omnewrotate is running
> > (or equivalent, but for simplicity let's just say omnewrotate).
>
> Actually, screen rotation *should* be the job of the WM. For me, as a relative

yup! that's what i was saying :) just helping people who have spent far less
time than me, for example, dealing with desktop standards, properties, x11,
wm's, multiple separare clients etc. etc. :)

> begginer, it was easier to startup with the first rotate.c written by Chris
> Ball and step by step improving (for instance, drop fork and link to
> libxrandr for better performance, control speed of reading from device, give
> tolerance, etc.
>
> But if it was the WM, the WM could even do nifty special effects (in graphics
> card that would allow it), etc...

if the wm was a compositor too - which some are, yes. correct. it could animate
the transitions etc. etc.