Ideal screen rotation

Dave Ball openmoko at
Tue Nov 10 01:00:31 CET 2009

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> wm needs to track both and determine which one takes precedence based
> on policy and th en implement that rotation, if needed. policy is what
> a wm implements - that's the nature of the beast. that policy may be
> hard-coded in the wm or configuration for it.

I've been looking at existing window properties [1] to try and
understand the best way to do this.

option1: New atoms in the _NET_WM_STATE property.

If neither is present for a given window, WM can choose (based on the
accelerometers). Both present is an error - or could be defined as leave
the window in it's current orientation.

option2: New property.

  0 = Either / WM decides
  1 = Landscape
  2 = Portrait

OT - but I'm struggling with e's script:
    xhost +
    su newuser
    Xnest -ac :1 &
    env DISPLAY=":1" enlightenment_start &

works, but:

    xhost +
    su newuser

doesn't.  Initially it ran through e's firstrun wizard in an xnest, then
crashed - now it dies on start.  I've attached the output - any