[OffTopic]Geek'sPhone: New android actor?

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Tue Nov 10 09:32:10 CET 2009

2009/11/9 David Lanzendörfer <david.lanzendoerfer at o2s.ch>:
> Would be nice, if it could become a new development platform for OM/SHR too.
Yes

> Are there some development boards to get?
No

> With JTAG interface and so on?
No

> And a documentation for writing free drivers for the linux kernel?
No (AFAIK)

> Using android kernel is not an option, because they put the mostpart of theire
> drivers into the apache licensed userspace. In binary format.
I know.

> So the basic idea of opensource handies is died in android, because the linux
> kernel cant support the hardware on its own, theres alway a binary compatible
> android userspace needed to have the devices working properly.
>
> I hope, if they call theire phone "geeky" then they are also open to sell
> developmentboards and documentation.
> If they dont. Then the word geeky is a lie and we could even call a htc-raph
> or other windows-ce generation handies geeky.
> Then we can call every ** smartphone geeky. Because they are all hackable in
> someway...
Totally agree, we are trying to bring this openness you describe to
that device but there is a lot of political work to be done ...

> So please ask them to inform about development boards on theire page.
> They dont have to make UMTS/GSM open, its clear that they cant, but the rest
> of the pcb and schematics they could give us in a documentation, so that some
> smart linux kernel hackers could write some drivers in the propriate section
> (Board, CPU, Devices)
That's precisely our goal but don't hold your breath it might happens
or not, I will transmit to them the willing on participate of the
Openmoko community to improve the FOSS level status on the device ;)

> Something which the Android developers didnt manage to do either.
> Theire drivers are sooo ugly.
> This time, the development should start from our site.
> Linux shouldnt have only BIOS function, but should have the user and kernel
> space consequently separated.
> Lets do it on our own, an we are sure, that it will be respected.
> We can certainly do it better then proprietary enterprises and google.
:) I agree too