Ideal screen rotation

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Nov 10 18:29:45 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 05:15:54PM +0000, Dave Ball wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:08:06PM +0000, Dave Ball wrote:
> >> However, what's the use-case for an application requesting either of the
> >> inverted states?  I can't see when those would be useful - in terms of
> >> hints the app would supply.
> >>
> >> Obviously, if the WM was deciding orientation based on the device
> >> position, you would correctly rotate to the inverted states, but if an
> >> application is built for portrait or landscape is there any reason a
> >> developer would not want the "normal" portrait/landscape orientation for
> >> the device?
> >>

> > Yes, certain devices may be better prepared (in terms of connectivity for
> > power, usb, etc...) for one kind of landscape rather than the other.
> >

> Yup - although that would be at the device level rather than the
> application level.  If the WM knows what the device's policy is, I can't
> see a situation where one app wants to be in "landscape", and a
> different app wants to be in "landscape inverted" on the same device?

If you want to "standardize" something, better be prepared for uses such as
a device.

For some reason xrandr allows different options rathen than just 3.

0 == normal
1 == turned left
2 == normal inverted
3 == turned right

Now... on my laptop, landscape == 0 or 2, but on the Free Runner landscape = 1 or 3

Rui