Ideal screen rotation

Neil Jerram neiljerram at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 10 22:26:56 CET 2009

2009/11/10 Warren Baird <wjbaird at alumni.uwaterloo.ca>:
> I meant that it should *constrain* the behaviour of rotation - more or less
> like omnewrotate behaves now, but skipping over the two 'incorrect'
> orientations.
>
> so if the app says 'landscape', it's still flip between xrandr -o 1 and
> xrandr -o 3 as you rotate the phone, but won't flip to xrandr -o 0 or xrandr
> -o 2.
>
> I don't think it will normally makes sense for an application to
> specficially request 'xrandr -o 3' - they will usually just want to be sure
> that they are displayed in portrait or landscape mode.

This subtlety hadn't occurred to me before, but I actually have a use
case for it!  I have an in-car phone holder that happens to work
better with the phone upside down, so that the USB connection can be
on the left.

So yes, it would be better if a "prefers-portrait" app (like tangogps)
could be shown in either -o 0 or -o 2, depending on actual phone
position.

        Neil