[Openmoko] No numbers on the keyboard?

Åsmund Stavdahl smund3 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 16:16:59 CET 2009

jahckal wrote:

> 2009/11/12 Åsmund Stavdahl <smund3 at gmail.com <mailto:smund3 at gmail.com>>
>
>     Hi folks,
>
>     I just received my FreeRunner yesterday, and I have a problem:
>     The keyboard that shows up when I am going to enter my PIN code
>     only has
>     lower-case letters! There is no shift/caps lock either... Is this
>     just a
>     missing basic feature, or have my technology insight failed me?
>     I am still using the Om that came pre-installed (should I flash SHR?).
>
>     I would also like to know how to open a terminal (do I have to install
>     one from the rep.?)...
>
>     All help appreciated!
>
>     --
>     Save humanity from self-destruction - STOP POPULATION GROWTH!
>
>     Don't bother sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments. They make
>     me puke.
>     Read http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html and
>     you will too.

> There's even joke about it :)
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Jokes
>
> *Q: Why did the OM newbie log onto #openmoko?*
>
> A: Because they had not read:
>
>    *
>          1. the wiki, and
>          2. the topic
>
> As then they would know you slide your finder up on the keyboard to
> get the numbers to enter your sim pin.
>

> Cheers!
>

> --
> jahckal

Well, I guess that confirms my newbmanship then :). I thought I had read
all the important manuals and stuff...
Thanks a lot!

Christ van Willegen wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Åsmund Stavdahl <smund3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just received my FreeRunner yesterday, and I have a problem:
>> The keyboard that shows up when I am going to enter my PIN code only has
>> lower-case letters! There is no shift/caps lock either... Is this just a
>> missing basic feature, or have my technology insight failed me?
>>
> To enter your PIN, I guess you'll only need the numbers... or am I
> incorrect here?

Yes, that is correct, but I didn't know that finger gestures on the
keyboard would work. I even figured how to delete characters ;D

>> I am still using the Om that came pre-installed (should I flash SHR?).
>>
> Since that software is way over 1 year old, I suspect it would be
> better to flash either SHR or QTMoko (or what is it called now?) to
> improve battery life (a lot!) and gain stability.
>

>> I would also like to know how to open a terminal (do I have to install
>> one from the rep.?)...
>>
> If you install SHR, you'll get one. Not sure about Qt...

Yes, I noticed the power drain. I'll flash SHR since it is most used.