Which Java JRE?

Bernd Prünster bernd.pruenster at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 07:33:24 CET 2009

Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 03:06:35PM +0000, Arigead wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>     I'm working on a project and I think it'd be cool as to show off the
>> project's work on a phone. The OpenMoko phone ;-)
>>
>> Unfortunately the project is implemented in Java, which I'm no fan of on
>> anything but a web server or browser but that's a discussion for another
>> day.
>>
>> I tried our system, which is running in an OSGi Container, on Jamvm on
>> the OpenMoko. It works but it sucks up 95% of the CPU when it's idle.
>> Not Good! I tried the same on my eeePC and with Sun's JRE our system
>> uses 1% of CPU whilst JamVM on the eeePC uses 40%. Obviously JamVM does
>> not suit our system.
>>

> No idea if it would be better, but have you tried cacao? Its in shr-feeds now again.

This is really weird!
I wrtoe one more or less serious app in java for the freerunner and a
couple of test apps and jamvm had avery fast startup, but was not as
compatible as cacao, but easier to use and did not require that much
ressources.
which distro are you using? which feed are you using to install jamvm
(dunno if still true but there used to be a difference depending on
where you installed it from).