[fso based] Simplified mixer app

Mikhail Umorin mikeumo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 01:02:29 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 06 October 2009 12:28:37 Al Johnson wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 October 2009, Mikhail Umorin wrote:
> > Thanks for the app, Al (see below)

> > > Updated version now available:
> > > http://www.mazikeen.demon.co.uk/openmoko/fso-simplemixer.py
> >
> > In "simple" view if I slide volume all the way to the right, it goes to
> > 101 (not 100) is that correct?
>
> That depends which slider it is ;-)
>
> It is correct. I map the alsa channels to a single slider giving equal
> increments covering the full range possible from those channels. For the
> outputs this is usually gives steps 0 to 101 while for the mic it is
> usually 0 to 119. If you uncomment self.gta02mixer.PrintGains() and start
> it from the cli it will show you the gain setting in dB for each step in
> the debug output. Unfortunately pyalsaaudio only accepts integer
> percentages when setting volume, so there are rounding errors when actually
> setting the volumes.

I was talking about Stereo Out for Speaker (when not in call). Sorry to be
unclear. So, how does the "simple" slider correspond to Bypass and Headphone
in the advanced view? Or are those things all different controls? Moving the
"simple" speaker slider seem to change Bypass and Headphone, but at different
rates for different ranges of the "simple" slider.  When I max out the simple
slider (to 101), bypass and headphone are at 100, but at lower simple slider
settings they change very non-linear.

This was probably discussed numerous times. But your visual  application makes
the channels easier to control and I finally feel that I have a chance to get
the volume I want during calls. It's all so confusing.... What's a good place
to learn the relations between all the channels/controls/bugs that make sound?