[SHR] getting an USB dongle to work

rhn omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org
Mon Oct 12 17:39:23 CEST 2009

Today, I became an owner of a new shiny USB network device. Due to poor WiFi reception indoors, this is a wired Ethernet adapter.

On to the point - the device uses the dm9601 driver, which happens to be packaged in the SHR feeds. However, the driver is not loaded automatically, and doesn't work after manual modprobe && depmod.
Some research on the desktop showed that dm9601 depends on usb_net and mii. However, these two are not present in SHR feeds.

What else should I do to make it work? I'd prefer to avoid recompiling the kernel, but if nothing else works...

Cheers!
rhn