all: FR and 3G dongle?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 13 01:25:51 CEST 2009

Just come back from a 6 day/~3000km drive holiday up the coast of
Western Australia - looks like GSM is almost obsolete with 3 g coverage
in many places, but no GSM at all (or weirdly, the FR reports "SOS only"
when it looks like 3G only is present when on the 3G SIM :(  Talked to
some truckies in a pub and they all had 3G signals, GSM had none in the
town (Telstra - town was Northhampton, largeish regional centre) - they
said they never use GSM these days as coverage is miserable.

So the FR is now obsolete - but is it possible to use the FR with an
external 3G dongle? - I know it works for data from previous posts here,
but can you make voice/sms calls from an external 3G dongle?

If not, what is a viable, relatively open phone with similar
capabilities (but better quality, and actually works reliably!) to the
FR?

BillK

* We also took a Treo650, a nokia, an LG and an unknown phone on the 3
network.  FR - two major crashes requiring full reboot, one when a call
came whilst using TangoGPS full screen - the others annoyingly, and it
was noticed by my better half they "Just Worked", unlike the FR :(

Home in Perth!