new Android Cupcake release for Freerunner

Jim Ancona jim at anconafamily.com
Tue Oct 13 02:37:04 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Levy <levy.santanna at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 20:34, Aditya Gandhi <aditya.g8 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That is so sad to hear google android without maps, gmail, etc... is there
>> anyway to get those binaries and have them run on freerunner??
>
> One time I made a test with Gmail.apk that I got from a G1 and did not
> work! ! :-(

Many of the Google Apps depend on APIs that aren't in the open source
distribution (e.g. for login). If you are interested, there is quite a
bit of discussion on the android-platform list
(http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform) around what to do
about the missing APIs and applications.

I've been working on an open source clone of the proprietary Google
Maps API. The code is here: http://gitorious.org/android-maps-api It
should be included in upcoming daily and weekly builds for the
android-on-freerunner project.

Jim