SHR status

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 20 13:27:55 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-20 at 12:10 +0200, Bernd Prünster wrote:
> W.Kenworthy wrote:
> > Tried the NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS hack? - made a real difference to me on
> > this problem.  To manually try it, mount debugfs and do the echo
> > command, or create as below and reboot.
> >
> > In /etc/fstab add this line (all one line :)
> >
> > debugfs			/sys/kernel/debug	debugfs		defaults                 0  0
> >
> > and create "/etc/init.d/NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS"
> >
> > containing
> >
> > _____________________
> > #!/bin/sh -x
> >
> > echo NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS > /sys/kernel/debug/sched_features
> > _____________________
> >
> > and use update-rc.d to add it to the default boot levels.
> >
> > debugfs exposes some knobs and innards of the kernel, the one here
> > making the kernels default scheduler behave more like the BFS scheduler
> > that hit the news a couple of months ago, creating a far more responsive
> > device including when it rings.
> >
> > BillK
> >
> Tireid it!
> did not do the job for me:
> bottup was faster (as soon as the illuem desktop came up i had
> reception, but the bt symbol was still showing, so something wasn quite
> ready
> autosuspend didn't work.
> everything was _EXTREMELY_ slow (remember om2008.8/fdom? ;-))
> shr-settings is borked "could't connect to ophonekitd/FSO"
> i sent myself an sms from the internet. -> phone woke up 5 seconds later
> *ring*
>
> so i reverted it.
>
> rebooted
>
> and still have a borked phone.
>
> i am using mrmoku-testing and somethign is really fucked up now
> i don't blame you its just that i want to say that it can be harmful

I doubt its doing anything bad - seems more likely you have a
bad/misconfigured install, or possibly a bad/intermittant GSM modem
connection (the serial port side) as thats similar to what I see when it
doesnt initialise properly - lots of things in the framework do not work
well until the GSM serial line is working.  It usually takes a couple of
minutes after you get the desktop before its registered so something is
different if it registered as soon as the desktop comes up.  You might
want to check the frameworkd.log to see whats really happening.

BillK