Increasing GPS accuracy with EGNOS

Ed Kapitein ed at kapitein.org
Wed Oct 21 19:33:36 CEST 2009

Baruch Even wrote:
>> ><SNIP><
>> I found this in the source of ogpsd on my Freerunner:
>>
>> def initializeDevice( self ):
>>
>>     # Use high sensitivity mode
>>
>>     #self.send("CFG-RXM", 2, {"gps_mode" : 2, "lp_mode" : 0})
>>
>>     # Enable use of SBAS (even in testmode)
>>
>>     self.send("CFG-SBAS", 8, {"mode" : 1, "usage" : 7, "maxsbas" : 3,
>> "scanmode" : 0})
>>
>> So it seems that SBAS has always been enabled even in test mode. Does
>> anybody know where we can get information if sbas is really active and
>> used by the chip?
>>

> The comment is wrong, the mode value of 1 means that it uses SBAS but
> not if its in test mode. The comment is a left over from the time the
> value was 3, but then the whole line was commented out.
>

> You can get SBAS status messages if you set it in the debug interface with:
> mdbus -s org.freesmartphone.ogpsd /org/freedesktop/Gypsy
> org.freesmartphone.GPS.UBX.SetDebugFilter NAV-SBAS True
>
> and then listen to the signals with:
> mdbus -l -s rg.freesmartphone.ogpsd /org/freedesktop/Gypsy
>
> Look for DebugPacket signals.
>
> I tried it for other signals, didn't have time yet to test if it works
> for NAV-SBAS.
>
> Baruch

I did to enable the debug packet and although i was receiving data from
PRN120, i never got any
NAV-SBAS packets in the debug output.

Acording to [1] it should be enabled in the framework, so i am wondering if anyone had more luck than me.

Kind regards,
Ed

[1] http://totalueberwachung.de/blog/2008/10/12/status-of-the-framework