Ericsson releases "free" cell-id lookup API

Onen at
Thu Oct 22 22:16:23 CEST 2009

Baruch Even wrote:
> Alex (Maxious) Sadleir wrote:
>> Limited to 100 requests per day. Perhaps I'm getting the syntax wrong
>> (made sure to use hex like their example does) but when I tried to
>> compare it to cells in the openmoko cellid databases, I got back "404
>> - The requested resource () is not available."
> The main limitation of such APIs is that you have to be online to use
> them, so you must use a GPRS connection to get your location.
> openbmap-locator can work offline as well.

Is it very much different than the Google location API?

As Baruch said, you must be online, and I add you must send your GSM
data (and as such your position) to a third party.
Local service on the phone as openBmap-locator from Baruch is the right
way to go for performance, easiness, and privacy.