Centralization of graphical awesomeness

Marcel tanuva at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 26 14:53:50 CET 2009

Am Dienstag, den 27.10.2009, 00:11 +1100 schrieb Carsten Haitzler:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:23:51 +0000 Vasco Névoa <vasco.nevoa at sapo.pt> said:
>

> > Downgrading to QVGA is something that should have been done a long time ago.
> > There's no point in trying to force a badly designed system.
> >
> > How do we do it? Which files must be changed?
>
> last i checked... 1. xmd-line option to xglamo (kdrive) server to select it, 2.
> xrandr to runtime select it. note that toushcreen driver didn't account for res
> change so ts coords were still assuming 480x640 - this is a small fix needed
> for it to be totally usable. not sure if this was ever fixed, but if it
> hasn't been - this is a good indicator of how no one has bothered with qvga.
> thus the complaints. try it. you'll find it significantly faster. see videos
> below - 206mhz ipaq3660.. smooth.

I tried to got to qvga for graphics performance testing about a week
ago. This is needed (tested on SHR's 2.6.29-rc3):
echo "qvga-normal" > /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state
xrandr -s 240x320

To return to vga:
echo "normal" > /sys/bus/spi/devices/spi2.0/state
xrandr -s 480x640

Problems:
- SHR's pin entry dialogue and shr-today have a too large font so
they're hard to read, but still (kinda) usable, didn't try other apps
http://scap.linuxtogo.org/files/3a88e6beb3253362d14384ec3f3a3dfe.png
(yes, that's the whole screen)
- graphics in general are far too light, most colors become whiteish
- colored stripes horizontally over the whole display, but are invisible
on screenshots (naturally) - the same as above, but photographed:
http://d-a300.selfip.net/files/shr-today-qvga.jpg

If our software would run well in that resolution and if the display
would make it (better than now), I would clearly prefer qvga for
performance. I was about to write a little game, but that's impossible
with that horrible vga rendering performance.

--
Marcel