Centralization of graphical awesomeness

Marc Andre Tanner openmoko at brain-dump.org
Tue Oct 27 12:46:01 CET 2009

On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 04:42:21PM +1100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 06:31:26 +0100 rixed at happyleptic.org said:
>
> > -[ Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:52:04AM +1100, Carsten Haitzler ]----
> > >
> > > i beg to differ. it's more optimised than pretty much anything out there.
> >
> > > scrolling is different in qt. it is a simple blit. in efl it's a redraw.
> > > efl is very much like GL. you get a lot of power and abilities with it, but
> > > you do pay a price for it. unlike qt, efl's scrollers have smoothly scaled
> > > item contents, backgrounds, translucency and everything.
> >
> > So, probably unoptimized is not the right term. Maybe it's just _inapropriate_
> > to do these things on such a device, and that E, because it does so many
> > things, is not such a good choice however optimized it may be ?
> > Or maybe people really want it that way, unusable but good looking ?
>
> well as i said. it works fine and fluidly on many other devices. you are free
> to ditch efl and use gtk or qt if you want. it's your choice. of course if you
> are not developing apps... it's kind of not your choice :)
>
> but.. if i were smart.. i'd not develop apps for the freerunner. it's a "dead
> product". it has no more being produced. it has no evolution path. there won't
> be a gtao3, 04, 05 etc. everyone quit or was fired/let go from om that worked
> on phones.. or worked on pretty much anything. your future is other devices..

I personally belive that the gta02-core project is a wonderful idea and that
Openmoko Inc should have done it that way from the start. So in terms of openness
and freedom this is a big step forward and I hope we will eventually see a gta03
(even a gta02 without glamo as the current plan is should improve graphic
performance as you previously explained).

Besides there are no real alternatives which provides the same kind of openess.

So all in all I think we should focus on getting the best out of our current
open platform this will at the same time guarantee that it will be lightening
fast on a newer device.

Marc

--
 Marc Andre Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: CF7D56C0