Centralization of graphical awesomeness

DJDAS djdas at djdas.net
Tue Oct 27 15:47:02 CET 2009

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> well as i said. it works fine and fluidly on many other devices.
Even Windows Vista works fine and fluidly on 3000$ desktops this doesn't
mean it's optimized ;)
> but.. if i were smart.. i'd not develop apps for the freerunner. it's a "dead
> product". it has no more being produced. it has no evolution path. there won't
> be a gtao3, 04, 05 etc. everyone quit or was fired/let go from om that worked
> on phones.. or worked on pretty much anything. your future is other devices..
> and these don't suck with EFL. i'd not compromise the future if i were smart.

Let me you know that in nowadays payments system about 70-75% POS
terminals run on Z80 processor or Motorola 68k family...when you stripe
your card the system reads the magnetic stripe/microchip (handling
security encryption stuff) calls the banking server, communicates with
the cash register shows you the PIN request and prints the
receipt...there is no need for a quad core to do these things
concurrently ;)
Personally, before buying the Freerunner I had a Nokia 3650 for 4 years,
so I'm not one of those who "need" the latest hardware to run the latest
software which does nothing more than add fancy icons providing the same
functionalities and costing double than the previous one...so when I'll
have the "need" to buy a new device probably OM or someone else will
provide me a new OPEN hardware (this is what I really need, nothing
more) to develop, and use, OPEN software :)

> why are you not complaining that linux sucks on an 8086 on
> your desktop?
Because Linux doesn't sucks on an 8086 ;) because Linux is well
designed, is scalable, is optimized and can run even on a 8086...Desktop
is another thing, I don't need compiz or E to show a window with two
buttons to connect my wifi or calculate my monthly expenses, this is
only a commercial stuff, not for me ;)

> because hardware moved on. most games i know of are written to
> work on the highest end graphics cards at the time. why?
Because software houses and hardware manufacturers have to sell
something to stay on business ;) we are talking about an open platform
to develop and use open software on, not on selling an iPhone ;)

> by the time the game
> is out and is selling - everyone has finally upgraded to those cards. they were
> top end 3 years ago when game design started. now they are "low to middle end".
> gta02 is a a middle end device that came out 4-5 years after its components
> were middle end - except the LCD. you have a 4-5 year old set of components
> driving a high end screen. you will pay a cost.
>
> the developers are smart if they look forward to where hardware will be in N
> years and make sure they are on the right path for that. if it works now with
> some tuning and simplification of things like themes - then great. their code,
> apis and logic dont need a rewrite every few years.

This is only commercial stuff, I don't want to sell nothing to anyone,
just develop for fun and use my Freerunner as a phone without the need
to wait 3 seconds to answer a call...