Insisting on metaphors that exploit the device's weaknesses (Re: Centralization of graphical awesomeness)

Warren Baird wjbaird at
Thu Oct 29 22:09:09 CET 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 5:44 AM, <rixed at> wrote:

> Reading an ebook or looking a webpage or a map is better with scrolling
> I guess.
I've been using my FR with ePdfView to read books quite a bit lately, and I
always read a full screen of text and then click on the scrollbar to move to
the next screen of text.   I find it hard to track text on the screen if you
are continuously scroll - I think paging is a much better metaphor, at least
for ebook reading.

A map might be one situation where incremental scrolling is better than
paging - I certainly use it a lot on my desktop when using google maps, for

Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist