Gift for c_c

c_c cchandel at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 18:35:30 CET 2009

Hi,

Laszlo KREKACS wrote:

>  However I cant imagine what you mean under
> "simple animation for sliding out the vol control".

  I meant that we could have something like the illume slipshelf on the
right side of the screen that slides in and shows the volume control and
then hides itself when not in use after 2 secs or so.

Laszlo KREKACS wrote:

> So the first step is definietly implementing elementary layout.

  Yup.

Laszlo KREKACS wrote:

>> 3.  Then - I will add the auto-scrolling feature for karaoke.
> I think it can be the first step, as it is only a minor programing
> challenge,
> and only requires elementary layout, which is required anyway.

  I agree.

Laszlo KREKACS wrote:

> And I also lack C knowledge. I only can code in python and I know a
> little elementary/edje programming (embryo scripting).

  I can help - lets set up something for next weekend if you're keen.

Laszlo KREKACS wrote:

> (Btw, I dont really understand why programming in C is required in
> intone, as all the speed critical part is provided by third party
> (mplayer, enlightenment). Besides intone does not launch fast.
> It launches 6 sec for me on the freerunner, while my own python program
> launch 6 sec too. So no speed improvements either.

  There are a number of advantages to C that I can think of, the main ones
being speed and smaller memory requirements.

  The launching speed is not the best benchmark since intone :-

1. checks for mplayer's presence
2. restores its state from a db
3. modprobes snd-pcm-oss
4. creates the fifo files to control mplayer
5. checks for zombie mplayer processes
6. kills them
7. starts up mplayer
8. renices it
9. starts a thread for the dbus calls

  before the window is created. I guess I could reduce the window showing
time - it's just not been that much of an issue.

  Try playing an ogg file in the background (~50% cpu) with a reasonably
long playlist that needs scrolling and see what happens when you scroll if
the frontend is in python.

  I do agree about the easier part and the dev cycle being shorter in
python.

  Anyhow, if you can help me with the edc files - I can write the code. And
if you can help with the code - even better :-)