[wikireader]Suggestions for next steps on software

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Fri Oct 30 22:29:49 CET 2009

2009/10/30 Paul Fertser <fercerpav at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> David Reyes Samblas Martinez <david at tuxbrain.com> writes:
>> *First and prioritary,
>> allow have multiple languages on same sdcard
>
> TBH i can't really understand the desire to have encyclopedic articles
> written in other languages.
let me gess... your native  language is english isn't it? :P
>It's encyclopedia, not literature after
> all! Why not concentrate on correctness and volume instead of
> translating from one language to another equivalent (for this
> purposes)? It's just happened so that English became an
> internationally understood way of communication, what is the benefit
> in trying so hard to do something to alter that?
as arne has pointed is not just translating each wikipedia in
different language is a different wikipedia and local topics as
geography and cultural topics are more rich in the local language than
in a foreign one.
Also you must face a fact... not everyone in a non english country
speaks/reads/or even have listen ever  english! yes! it's true believe
me , or travel a little more (outside the tourist circuits of course)
:)

Also comercial reasons the more lenguages can be integrated the more
maket you will arrive.

> I'd prefer having a good English dictionary integrated instead.
I prefer a good Spanish one :) I gess if RAE (Royal Academy of
Spanish) has an xml to parse :P

David Reyes Samblas Martinez
http://www.tuxbrain.com
Open ultraportable & embedded solutions