[wikireader]Suggestions for next steps on software

David Reyes Samblas Martinez david at tuxbrain.com
Fri Oct 30 23:27:30 CET 2009

2009/10/30 Paul Fertser <fercerpav at gmail.com>:
> David Reyes Samblas Martinez <david at tuxbrain.com> writes:
>>>
>>> TBH i can't really understand the desire to have encyclopedic articles
>>> written in other languages.
>>
>> let me gess... your native  language is english isn't it? :P
>
> Wrong :P I learnt English a little bit at school and later at the
> University. I guess it's obvious for a native speaker judging by my
> far from ideal writing skills.
Obvously I'm not a native speaker either due my lack of criteria judging :P

>>> It's encyclopedia, not literature after
>>> all! Why not concentrate on correctness and volume instead of
>>> translating from one language to another equivalent (for this
>>> purposes)? It's just happened so that English became an
>>> internationally understood way of communication, what is the benefit
>>> in trying so hard to do something to alter that?
>> as arne has pointed is not just translating each wikipedia in
>> different language is a different wikipedia and local topics as
>> geography and cultural topics are more rich in the local language than
>> in a foreign one.
>
> It's true, i agree. But i tend to look for non-local topics on >90% of
> occassions. Also in my experience looking for local topics is usually
> more rewarding when i do simple googling instead of reading localized
> wikipedia.
yes bun in this in case of wikireader you have no Saint Google to pray
you are offline so the more sources you can store in the card the
better and the first easy step is to include more wikipedia.

>> Also you must face a fact... not everyone in a non english country
>> speaks/reads/or even have listen ever  english! yes! it's true believe
>> me , or travel a little more (outside the tourist circuits of course)
>> :)
>
> I think volunteers that write wikipedia articles do that for the
> benefit of the people who want to learn. And those who do can learn
> enough English to understand articles, it'd also have other numerous
> benefits obviously.
I don't know where you are but in Spain we are little far to
generalize this as a fact .English level is far from desiderable in a
european country, things are changing slowly, now english is learned
or at least listened in very early stages in school , my three year
daughter two teachers one of thems is an only english speaking teacher
and she is starting to understand some easy orders and sentences I
hope when this generation grow things will be different here.

>> Also comercial reasons the more lenguages can be integrated the more
>> maket you will arrive.
>
> Heh, commercial reasons are something i tend to overlook usually :)
more units sold more users, more resources to OM and his friends to to
still investing in more cool open&free ideas :) as companies we can't
overlook this ;)

> --
> Be free, use free (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html) software!
> mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com