Navit - german localization causes rounding of GPS-position

Mirothanus openmoko at
Sat Oct 31 16:32:57 CET 2009

Hi everybody,

I have successfully localized my Navit to speak German.... I thought.

Using SHR on my FR, I have installed every necessary localization packages
(i.e. navit-locale-de and locale-base-de-de) and all speed-dispatcher
packages. To start Navit I use the - script from the wiki.

If I use Navit in English (i.e. the main language of SHR is set to EN) or
don't use the script, everything works smoothly, the GUI is in English, my
GPS-position is found and the speech-dispatcher leads me in English to my

But if I set the SHR-Language to DE-de and use the script to start the
localized Navit, something goes terribly wrong. The GUI is in German,
alright. Spd-say seems to speak German, alright. But one thing is wrong: my

At the moment I'm at 50°59"24 N 09°01"04 E. But Navit thinks I am at
50°59"59 N 8°59"59 E. That's far-off my position! TangoGPS and other
GPS-apps report my correct position. If I change the street, for example,
nothing changes in Navit.

I guess that in the course of localization, the floating-point-number of my
position is mangled and thus reported incorrectly to Navit.

How can I solve this problem?

Yours sincerely,