Fwd: buzzfix in India

Vikas Saurabh vikas.saurabh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 10:24:48 CEST 2009

Hi guys,

First off, I am terribly sorry for the delay. I was too busy with work
of late. Anyways, I guess we need to plan on the dates and mode of
transport of phones to NCR.

Till now, I know of only following people (through this mail chain):
NCR:
Gora Mohanty (1973)
Vibhav Sharma (FR - ??)
/me Vikas Saurabh (FR - A5) -- In for buzz fix in 1024....shaky about bass fix

Bangalore:
Shashank Bharadwaj (????)
Alok G. Singh (????)
Ganesh Krishna (????)

?????:
Chetan Chandel (????)

I am unsure if 1973 also needs hardware mods...but I still took the
liberty to include Gora.

This number is very small as compared to 150 (number of FRs that
Rakshat said have been sold in India)...is there anyone else? I wanted
to all this in wiki but I don't think we are still planned enough to
update http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/BuzzFixParty

Regarding the fixes, there are basically 3 hardware mods:
* Buzz fix - the whole point of starting the program
* 1024 recamping fix - there is a lot of re-registration thereby
reducing the battery time
* Bass fix - probably, the FR circuitry cuts off certain frequencies
thereby reducing quality audio output

Further reading:
1024::
Re: The "trivial" #1024 GSM fix --> What you need is 0805 ceramic
capacitor, 22uF, 6.3V (or more).
fixing bug #1024 successful reports? --> And using ceramic cap is
recommended because low ESR is needed and
										electrolitic caps can't provide that. If you connect your electrolitic
										cap in parallel with the original one (as you did) then you're
										probably ok but nevertheless i recommend to use ceramic. Also shield
										itself is connected to the GND plane so i wouldn't go that far for a
										ground.
Bug #1024 (oscillating re-camping), a possible solution --> The other
solution is to remove C1009 and replace it
															with a 22 uF capacitor. Daniel Willmann has done this
															successfully with a few phones.
															http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/hardware/attachments/20090525/d968961a/attachment-0001.jpeg

Bass fix::
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/GTA02_bass_fix --> One from Paul Ferster
seems promising, the other one doesn't(can't) use the 100uF cuz of the
size
https://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/gta02-core/2009-August/000366.html
--> describes which capacitor is good and why

--Vikas
PS: I think we can start off with getting ready for delivering FR
(from Bang...anywhere else???). I guess Zoheb would be right person to
streamline this process!!