TCP connection over GPRS between Openmoko and Notebook

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 18:39:25 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Michael Tansella<michael-tansella at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I establish a communication connection (I want to transfer Text) from
>
> A:
> Freerunner
> GPRS Vodafone Germany Connection (IP behind NAT)
> Qt program that sends for example coordinates

> B:
> Linux Notebook
> GPRS Vodafone Germany Connection (IP behind NAT)
> Qt program that processes the received Data immediately
>
> I want to implement this in a QT4 program and thought about TCP
> but how can I get a "global" accessable IP address.
> Does there already exist any tool that can do this?
> Do I have to use SSH, VPN, HTTP, FTP, ...? Unfortunately I don't know much
> about networking stuff such as NAT etc. , can you just give me a hint, how to
> start?

If you should rely on a public ip address where the two phones will
connect, for my personal tasks I use my DSL dynamic ip and dyndns +
openvpn.
If you do not have one, you should use some trick to encapsulate your
protocol in some way, limited only by fantasy.
You may use an IRC channel, some sort of p2p network, a shared email
account, a webform on public php hosting site, and so on!

     Nicola