Nokia N900

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Fri Sep 4 15:40:11 CEST 2009

yangm wrote:
> I agree,
>
> I think Nokia don't care the driver code is open or close, because it's
> not the value of nokia,
> Maybe it's chipset productor's value. Maybe the operator required.
>
> Anyway, if you don't plan update update the drvier, you need not care it.

I may very well want to upgrade the *kernel*. With that, I need every
driver as well. If they aren't provided because they aren't open and
Nokia didn't bother with some new kernel release . . . :-(

"Ordinary users" gets this sort of problem too, merely some time later
than the power users.

"Want this interesting piece of software? It needs some new ALSA
  functionality of 2.6.3x." Plenty of people might be interesting in
making that kernel. Some will even package it in some user-friendly
package management system. But they can't - because of proprietary
concerns. And so the end-user misses opportunities.

Helge Hafting