Small improvements suggestion to intone

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 12:03:00 CEST 2009

Hi c_c!

Here is my list, what I would like to see to be improved in intone:

1. In the song list, switch between
filename/Artist/Song Title/Album view

Because there are cases were filename is preferred over
title, for example for precompiled hits, where the order
is seen in the filename. Example:
001 - Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone.mp3
002 - Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.mp3
003 - John Lennon - Imagine.mp3

2. Different ordering possibility, aka. improve the shuffle button

The current play in order or play random should be improved:
I never liked the random function, because you can predict
what will be the next song:
http://xkcd.com/221/

I would prefer a list manipulating button. Where you click on
the button five different possibility button would appear:
* Order by filename (as it does currently)
* Order by album
* Order by Artist
* Order by Title
* Shuffle the list
* Party mode

The Shuffle the list possibility would replace the current random
button. It randomly reorder the list, but you can  see what
will be the next one. I think its superior solution.

Party mode:
You can interactively reorder the list. Like people come to
you at a party, please put XY as the next song,
please put a slow music next, etc, etc.
Dunno how to solve interactivity in elementary, ie.
drag and drop the list elements. Its not *that* important feature.

3. Improve the play once the list, play all button.
A third state would be also useful:
* play the list once
* play infinity
* play only the next song, and stop OR
play one song infinitely

So would be a three state button. Dunno if its really useful,
and so which one. Others?
(implement last;)

4. When adding new songs dir, should be a list view,
where it lists all added dir, and could also remove add to it.
(I already suggested it)

5. Implement minimal lyrics editor (MOST IMPORTANT;)))
(I already suggested)

Mark bold the current line, and a button, when
the music is there I push the button,
and it saves the time when it should jump to this line.

It would be also really usefull as it could autoscroll the
list. Currently I always need manually scroll the lyrics, and
it has a drawback: if I dont follow the music, I need to
search where the singer is. With autoscroll feature, I
could always look at the view, and it would mark the current
line for me. Timing is not an issue here, +- 1-4 sec has no
importance.

6. Implement in the lyrics view zoom in and zoom out button

I would consider this pretty important also. Not everybody
has a good eyesight, and the text are small enough in the
lyrics view. But my primary reason not this for suggestion.

I select words in the lyrics, what i dont know for later
look up in dictionary (read my recent mail with title
'My new possession....'). The current text is small enough,
that selecting is really difficult. I would like to zoom in when
I want to select the texts.
With autoscrolling zoomed in would pose no problem, as
it would always scrolling for me, so no need to see
11 lines all at once.

The zoom in, zoom out buttons would fit nicely in lyrics
view next to the current Artist name/Song title text.
Zoomin on the right side, zoom out on the left side of the
text.
You could also hide those buttons, when switching back to
cover view, list view. And no need to manipulate layers,
as other views dont use this space at all.

7. Future idea: Implement effects for the music.
I already suggested karaoke effect. Others said,
the implementation is rather simple, you mix the
left and right channel in the way it lowers the singer
voice.

By the way c_c, do you also need this layer manipulating
demo program? HAve you difficulties implementing it?

Best regards,
 Laszlo