Interesting Linux development for lower resources machines from Con Kolivas

Rui Miguel Silva Seabra rms at ansol.org
Tue Sep 8 11:23:27 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 10:50:43AM +0300, Markus T�rnqvist wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 03:27:13PM +0100, Joseph Reeves wrote:
> >> Now for someone to find the time to try this ;-)
> >
> >I applied the latest BFS patch to the andy-tracking branch of the
> >kernel but it wouldn't build - probably an indication of my noob
> >kernel skills rather than the applicability of the patch, however.
> >Would also be very interested if someone else got this to work ;-)
>
> I have a ton of unread OpenMoko emails about all important things,
> way way too busy right now, but seems now is a good time reply to this ;)
>
> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/
>
> There's a patch for 2.6.31-rc9 and a patch that looks like it changes
> how nice levels work
>
> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/2.6.31-rc9-sched-bfs-210.patch
>
> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/bfs210-test.patch
>
> Wanna try 'em out?

It seems someone is trying it out on Android:

http://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/3836404163
One last thing.. you know the lag you get when your phone rings and it doesn't display right away? Yeah thats gone now.

http://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/3835449787
I will push the bfs enabled kernel to Github tomorrow. Was a little tricky to backport for 2.6.29.

http://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/3835424076
I think it can be made even better too, but there is almost no need. BFS + Android = sexytime

http://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/3835076257
Just want to say it again... wow.

http://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/3835027843
BFS: http://bit.ly/tqGSy

http://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/3835025620
ok, some initial testing and bfs is really screaming! like, really really screaming.

http://twitter.com/cyanogen/status/3834875403
BFS on Android is pretty good so far!