om-showroom half-serious task list

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak seba.dos1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 16:23:21 CEST 2009

On 9/8/09, Risto H. Kurppa <risto at kurppa.fi> wrote:
> I had a look at the list and sorted apps I'd like or like not to see
> there or apps that I don't know if they should be at showroom.
>
> I guess my criteria is something like this:
> - The app needs a GUI - preferably a graphical X GUI but I also
> accepted some that have a decent CLI-gui (like irssi)
>     This drops out most libraries, servers, daemons, GNU tools etc
> - I've excluded keyboard layouts

They probably should be included, but in some other way (grouping? categories?)

> - If there's package and package-common, I've included package but
> left -common out since dependencies should take care of that
>     this means only paroli is included, paroli-theme -sounds and
> -autostart not. If needed, add to the description!
> - I included themes - I guess it's something people want to see
> - I excluded opimd stuff as it doesn't have decent implementation yet
> (sorry if I'm wrong here), only test scripts.

What does it mean? opimd is part of FSO, how it could be excluded? :x
Maybe you mean opimd-utils, but then you want to include opimd-utils
and opimd-utils-notes packages, and exclude opimd-utils-data and
opimd-utils-cli.

> Our intent (mine not, at least) is not to work as a WWW package
> manager but show nice applications. The intend is not to replace opkg
> list|grep tool_I_need or graphical package managers. Bloating the
> repository with cli tools like grep or sed or stuff like bash and
> busybox.

++

> Oh yes, I'm sure I've made some mistakes.
>
> 515 packages
>
> 9 of those, I don't know if they should be included
> 401 of those - don't include
> 105 YES, include!
>
> Included packages:
>
> abiword	AbiWord is free word processing program similar to Microsoft(r) Word
> accelges	Openmoko Accelerometer-based Gestures
> aceofpenguins	The Ace of Penguins is a set of Unix/X solitaire games
> based on the ones available for Windows(tm) but with a number of
> enhancements that my wife says make my versions better :-) The latest
> version includes clones of freecell, golf, mastermind, merlin,
> minesweeper, pegged, solitaire, taipei (with editor!), and thornq (by
> Martin Thornquist).
> aceofpenguins-launcher	EFL launcher for ace-of-penguins
> bubble-keyboard	Simple dialpad keyboard
> calc	A simple calculator which is elementary-themed
> callrec	a call recording application
> cellhunter	CellHunter - A game to collect information about mobile phone
> cells
> claws-mail	Mail user agent
> connman	The Moblin Connection Manager

That's not UI app (connman)

> [...]
> gnome-icon-theme	Version 2.22.0-r0 of package gnome-icon-theme
> gnuchess	Gnuchess is a chess playing engine.
> gpe-calendar	GPE calendar is the calendar application of the GPE PIM suite.
> gpe-contacts	GPE contacts manager
> gpe-filemanager	GPE file manager
> gpe-gallery	GPE image viewer application
> gpe-icons	Common icons for GPE
> gpe-scap	A GPE application that allows you to take screenshots.
> gpe-sketchbook	A GPE notebook to sketch your notes
> gpe-timesheet	GPE time tracker
> gpe-todo	GPE to-do list
> gridpad	Gridpad handstroke recognition
> hicolor-icon-theme	Version 0.10-r0 of package hicolor-icon-theme
> intone	intone is a mplayer frontend for openmoko phones
> irssi	Irssi is a modular IRC client with Perl scripting.
> leafpad	GTK+ based simple text editor
> links-x11	Links is graphics and text mode WWW browser, similar to Lynx.
> mc	GNU Midnight Commander is a file manager for free operating systems.
> mcabber	Jabber ncurses client
> midori	Midori is a lightweight web browser.
> mofi	Mofi
> mokoko	Mokoko - a simple media player
> mokomaze	Classic game where you control a steel ball by tilting a
> wooden labyrinth
> mokonnect	mokonnect is an e17 frontend to connmand
> mtpaint	mtPaint is a simple painting program
> notifier	A notifier for new calls and messages
> numptyphysics	Numpty Physics is a drawing puzzle game in the spirit
> (and style?) of Crayon Physics using the same excellent Box2D engine.
> oh-puzzles	Portable Puzzle Collection
> om-neon	Simple image viewer
> omgps	GPS application for openmoko freerunner
> omnewrotate	OpenMoko New Rotate is a screen rotation program
> omoney	OMoney is a bookkeeping application for Openmoko
> omview	OMView
> openbmap-logger	openBmap logger and uploader of GPS/GSM data
> openmoko-agpsui	GPS diagnostic tool
> openmoko-icon-theme-standard2	Standard Gtk+ icon theme for the
> Openmoko framework
> openmoocow	OpenMooCow makes your phone (nearly) become a cow!
> orrery	orrery
> paroli	Paroli
> pidgin	multi-protocol instant messaging client
> pingus	Pingus is a free Lemmings clone.
> pyefl-sudoku	Sudoku is a logic-based number-placement puzzle. The
> objective is to fill a 9×9 grid so that each column, each row, and
> each of the nine 3×3 boxes (also called blocks or regions) contains
> the digits from 1 to 9 only one time each.
> pyphonelog	PyPhonelog is a phonelog gui that connects to the shr
> daemon/a custom daemon
> pythm	Pythm is a media player gui designed to work with mplayer or mpd
> as "slave" players.use mplayer to hear music on the road or mpd
> control if your are at home.
> qwo	qwo virtual keyboard
> remoko	Remoko -- Bluetooth Remote Control
> remoko-server	The Remoko HID Server
> shr-contacts	The SHR Contacts application
> shr-dialer	The SHR Dialer
> shr-installer	EFL frontend for packagekit

I think you can exclude shr-contacts, shr-dialer and shr-messages, and
you should include libframeworkd-phonegui-*. shr-* phone apps are only
simple wrappers around libframeworkd-phonegui libs, which are the ones
who do GUI.

> shr-settings	Modular settings application for SHR based on python-elementary
> shr-splash-theme-dontpanic	SHR splash screen - DON'T PANIC theme
> shr-splash-theme-handy	SHR splash screen - handy theme
> shr-splash-theme-niebiee	SHR splash screen - extremely blue Niebiee theme
> shr-splash-theme-simple	SHR splash screen - simple SHR theme
> shr-theme	Standard icon theme for the SHR distribution
> shr-theme-gtk-e17lookalike	A gtk theme that looks like e17
> shr-today	python-elementary and opimd based lock and today screen for
> the SHR distribution
> sms-sentry	An SMS monitor to locate a Neo Freerunner
> supertux-qvga	SuperTux is a classic 2D jump'n'run sidescroller game in
> a style similar to the original SuperMario games (QVGA, size-optimized
> version)
> tangogps	tangoGPS is a map and GPS application using Openstreetmap
> usb-gadget-mode	Manage the default USB gadget mode
> usbmode	Freerunner USB Mode Control Program
> vagalume	Last.fm client
> vala-terminal	A lightweight Terminal Emulator based on libvte, written in
> Vala.
> wv	Programs for accessing Microsoft Word documents
> xchat	Full-featured IRC chat client with scripting support
> xournal	Xournal is an application for notetaking, sketching, keeping a
> journal using a stylus.
> xterm	xterm is the standard terminal emulator for the X Window System.
> zhone	A phone UI based on the freesmartphone.org framework
>

> Excluded: http://pastebin.com/m30e333a1
>
> Don't know:
> xprop	X application
> opimd-utils	Test scripts for freesmartphone.org opimd interface

Include opimd-utils and opimd-utils-notes.

> tasks	Task list application
> plaympeg	SMPEG is a general purpose MPEG video/audio player for Linux
> based on the mpeg_play and SPLAY MPEG decoders.
> xtscal	Touchscreen calibration utility
> shr-splash	SHR splash screen

Hmm... Probably you should exclude it.

> groff	GNU roff
> intuition	Intuition a prototype context dependent mobile search engine
> jamvm	A compact Java Virtual Machine which conforms to the JVM
> specification version 2.

IMHO jamvm should be included.

> The full CSV file with fields to sort is available at
> http://kurppa.fi/freerunner/temp/package_filtered.csv
>
> I don't know what's the best way to implement this
> It's not easy to create rules for this..
> In a way I think each app (or each package) should be individually
> accepted in the showroom, it's hard to create (&maintain!) a decent
> filter regexp to cover this all..

> --
> | risto h. kurppa
> | risto at kurppa dot fi