2.6.31 is out, where is my ultimate kernel?

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 13:55:53 CEST 2009

Laszlo KREKACS <laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com> writes:
> So I expect with the new kernel the following features:
> * KMS

To be discussed with Thomas.

> * BFS scheduler

Who said it works any better? Do you understand that somebody will
have to rebase and tweak it every mainline release because it'll never
get upstream? Who proved it worth it?

> * imporved wifi

I don't know anybody who's going to invest real time into
rewriting/fixing driver, especially if there're userspace workarounds
present.

I, for once, am not really motivated unless Atheros gives us a way to
use more sane firmware

> * improved gprs

Kernel-unrelated

> * improved resume time

No idea, probably KMS will improve it a little bit.

> * improved battery management, aka "dump battery" support

Everything's already in .29.

> * No WSOD anymore for sure (not even in cold/warm or temperature
> change)

Say great thanks to Lars, i hope his patches will finally fix that.

> * improved everything.

Heh :-/

> Can the kernel developers let the community know, when new important
> things happens? Is the new git structure is already in place?
> Is the patches are revisited and cleaned up for the new kernel?
> What patches didnt go upstream?

A little bit later.

And small announcement to everybody:

I want to use OM trac to care about kernel and bootloader bugs. Only
"category: System Software" is relevant. I've already closed a whole
bunch of tickets, now it became manageable and contains some valueable
information.

Please report your problems (after making sure they're kernel-related)
there. Don't forget to specify exact kernel revision and preferably
steps to reproduce. And probably wait until .31 for FR is officially
announced, we would really need your feedback to bring it into shape.

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com