Evopedia 0.2.2

Christian christian at exinto.de
Thu Sep 10 14:54:42 CEST 2009

Robin Paulson schrieb:
> 2009/8/31 Christian Reitwießner <christian at reitwiessner.de>:
>> Evopedia version 0.2.2 has been released. The major new feature is an
>> interactive map of articles. Images for this map are automatically taken
>> from downloaded map tiles of tangoGPS or from Openstreetmap.org if these
>> cannot be found (and you are online). If you do not have any images and
>> no internet connection, at least the articles are displayed at the right
>> location (if the zoom level is high enough).
>>
>> Evopedia is an offline Wikipedia reader that can be viewed using any
>> browser you like (midori is the default). You need to download a
>> Wikipedia dump (apart from the software also available there) from
>>
>> http://www.reitwiessner.de/openmoko/evopedia.html
>>
>> The following dump languages are available at the moment:
>> Dutch, French, German, Italian and Spanish. Polish is currently in the
>> queue.

By the way, the dump of the Polish Wikipedia is ready now.

> i see there's no english version available yet. understandable with
> the size. can you tell me what has to be done to create the file? do
> you have a script?

If you want, you can try to create the dump. The software I use can be
downloaded at
http://vitels.cs.uni-tuebingen.de/dump_software_source/

There is a modified mediawiki installation, just extract it somewhere,
you only need php, no running webserver (but it could make sense for
testing the mediawiki installation).
Furthermore, there is another archive containing the dump script and
some other utilities. You have to set some variables in the dump script
and of course create the mysql tables for mediawiki.

Perhaps the dump procedure can be optimized but currently it should take
quite a long time to dump the English Wikipedia. I think dumping the
German Wikipedia took a week.

Please contact me if you have any further questions. Though I think we
should not do this via the list then.

Kind regards,
Christian